Author Topic: Why did you sell your Ethos?  (Read 57 times)

Terrance Station

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Activity:
    15.33%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »
Maybe a large household expense like a washer or dryer goes out and you think ...man, if those Ethos liquid assets could be used for the washer and dryer we wouldn't have to go in debt...

Or you start reading the reviews for the ES 92's and you say ...hmm I can sell my Ethos and pocket $100 a piece and still have stellar performance

Or you bought one Ethoi thinking you could buy other focal lengths within a year only to figure out that almost $2000 for 3 eyepieces is somewhat excessive

Jon

Lasaro Tourabi

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 130
  • Activity:
    10%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 02:46:00 AM »
Quote
I had several but ended up selling them primarily because my time spent in this hobby is really rather limited. I've not had one night out this year!

It was sort of nagging at me, having all the $$ tied up without getting any enjoyment out of them.

But....

I've re-bought just about all that I had because I realized that these really are (or can be) lifetime eyepieces. I really can't find any eyepiece (and I've had just about all of them) that provides anything for me that these don't.

But.....but....you've bought and sold all of that for what?

Lifetime eyepieces. LOL

https://www.astromar...r_id=2109&tab=1

Christian Shim

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 111
  • Activity:
    14%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 06:41:11 AM »
I recently sold off my 3.7, 4.7, 10, 13, and 17 Ethos. For now I'm keeping the 6, 8, and 21.

My first reason is that I swapped in a Nikon HW 14/17, which I prefer to the Ethos for its slightly better comfort, very slightly better contrast, and the barlow gizmo works very nicely on the 6 and 8 Ethos. Liking the 14/17 so much, I also got the Nikon 10/12.5.

With the EiC barlow I get 5, 6, 6.66, 8, 10, 12.5, 14, 17, 21.

While barlow swapping is usually a bit of an issue, I don't see that here.

I get 6 ethos, 10 Nikon with EiC, and 17 Nikon no EiC.

Or, I can do 8 ethos, 14 Nikon with EiC, and 21 Ethos.

Most nights I figure I'll end up doing one of those sequences for the majority of the night, so little barlow swapping will happen.

I also didn't care much for the ergonomics on the 3.7 and 4.7, and they got little use in my 12.5" scope. I'm happy to barlow the 6 and 8 with either the EiC or AP 2x (so I get 3, 4, 5, 6, if needed for rarely used high powers). With relatively little use, high prices, and focal lengths I can more or less replicate, there was no justification for keeping those.

Other than these issues, I think the reason we are seeing so many sales is b/c the Ethos 15% was combined with a 10% sale from a particular vendor. Quite a few people no doubt figured that at 25% off, there would be little loss on re-sale. Which has of course happened.

russnappditcva

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 128
  • Activity:
    12%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
Quote
Other than these issues, I think the reason we are seeing so many sales is b/c the Ethos 15% was combined with a 10% sale from a particular vendor. Quite a few people no doubt figured that at 25% off, there would be little loss on re-sale. Which has of course happened.

Couldn’t agree more. Whenever we try to judge equipment by the number of for sale ads we need no take into account the number of (recent) sales. The Ethos line has, justifiably, been very popular. Thus, there are a lot of them out there in the hands of those of us who are constantly seeking greener grass...

dustsungline

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 113
  • Activity:
    12%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
I have owned Ethos eyepieces since they came out in 2007 and I love them all.

But... I had cataract surgery in December 2016 and a "funny thing" happened. While scanning around the 100-degree FOV, I noticed that I could see the edge of my new eye lens. This wasdistracting and uncomfortable -- sort of like a giant curved floater. I talked it over with my doctor. He said it's something people see sometimes and there's not much we can do about it.

So I sold most of my Ethos and have switched to a Delos lineup. The 72-degree FOV is not as immersive as the Ethos, but the Deloseyepieces are very comfortable to use. So I would rather use a comfortable eyepiece with slightly less view than use an uncomfortable eyepiece. I still love the Ethos and miss them, but.....

IMHO - buying and selling eyepieces is just what a lot of us do in this hobby. We buy it, try it, change our minds, buy a different scope, get a job, lose a job, get married, get divorced, have kids, have medical issues, etc. I don't think any of this has anything to do with the quality of any particular eyepiece. Thank goodness for the internet!

Cheers,

Ron

Rob Stevens

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 104
  • Activity:
    12%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 01:32:03 AM »
Quote
Quote

Quote

I had several but ended up selling them primarily because my time spent in this hobby is really rather limited. I've not had one night out this year!
It was sort of nagging at me, having all the $$ tied up without getting any enjoyment out of them.
But....
I've re-bought just about all that I had because I realized that these really are (or can be) lifetime eyepieces. I really can't find any eyepiece (and I've had just about all of them) that provides anything for me that these don't.
But.....but....you've bought and sold all of that for what?
Lifetime eyepieces. LOLhttps://www.astromar...r_id=2109&tab=1
<p class="citation">starbase25, on 28 Sept 2017 - 9:14 PM, said:<a href="https://www.cloudynights.com/index.php?app=forums&amp;module=forums&amp;section=findpost&amp;pid=8128679" rel="citation">[/url]<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote built" data-author="starbase25" data-cid="8128679" data-time="1506626083">Yes. I guess I’m missing your point.

Chris Smale

  • Active Astronomer
  • ***
  • Posts: 129
  • Activity:
    18%
  • Reputation: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Why did you sell your Ethos?
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
I bought the 21, 13 &amp; 8mm Ethos eyepieces, I found them fine but I never actually viewed the full field as I didn't like moving my eye around. I will probably replace them with the Delos 12 &amp; 8 and another N22T4